Monday, May 3, 2010

.two.

The Terrordome - 5.2.10

w/ Greek Favourites, Lavis Blake, Pink Houses, Toby Foster, and John Crodian.

I was fairly doubtful I would be attending this show considering I had my mom's birthday dinner until about 7:30, but I'm glad I went through the stress of getting there on time because it turned out to be a super fun evening.

The Terrordome is my favorite place in Philly right now. I think they're going to be gone by the end of summer, so if you haven't yet, definitely go to a show there. Super fun house with tons of super positive people. They also do like 7 or 8 shows a month, which is more shows than any normal human can stand in their house, so I give them giant kudos for that.

The first band to play was Greek Favourites. I first saw this band on Spraynard's first tour about a year ago, and I have yet to see them since. Considering when I first saw them they were instantly one of my favorite bands, I was excited to say the least. These three dudes play a brand of pop punk that I can't even really put my finger on. It's sort of like a cross between the noodly invasion taking over Philly and The Menzingers... but with really aggressive vocals (which is awesome). Their set was insane. They are all equally talented at their separate instruments, but the drummer thinks of the coolest stuff to play, and he also sings the most, so that's sweet. Love em!



The second band was Lavis Blake. These 5 kids are my favorite band right now. I will not even describe how breathtaking every one of their sets are because I will not do it justice. Go see them. Right. Now.



The third band was Pink Houses. I saw these guys play Berea Fest last year and was kind of "meh" on them. Last night they totally changed my mind! I would describe them as fairly technical Dischord-y hardcore. They still have that Judge vocal kind of feel, but with very versatile music to back it up. I think one of the guys is in Defiance, Ohio as well? Definitely check them out.



Next was Toby Foster. I'd never heard Toby play but I had heard a lot about him from Ed and John. I was pleasantly surprised. Toby plays a brand of acoustic music that is super similar to a lot of the Plan-It-X bands right now. His lyrics made my heart melt. He had one song in particular about struggling with being comfortable with his sexuality which I loved. It's really hard for someone to stand in the middle of a big room of people and discuss their personal struggles, especially with something so "taboo" in society. I think he's coming back to Philly soon with Eric Ayotte, GO GO GO!!



Lastly was John "Failed Attempts at Facial Hair" Crodian. I have become fairly good friends with ol' Johnny the past couple of months. It's super rare to meet someone so honest to everything they enjoy in life. John is one of the most down to earth kids I've ever met, and his music (especially the lyrics) is so clever and genuine that it makes me cringe (in a good way). His set was unsurprisingly amazing. It's pretty entertaining having Ed there when John plays because he likes to add his own vocal parts to a couple of John's songs. I'm surprised he did it in front of all of his VIP friends as well. OUCH.



After the show we headed to Jordan Hollander's house (where Charlie Cottone was also chilling to the max) to check out our completed Paramedic/Spraynard split 7". I'm super pleased with how they turned out. Chris Regec (as well as Paramedic) are sweethearts and did an awesome job screening and assembling them. We got Lucky's Chinese Food per suggestion from Jordan. Best $6 sesame tofu I've ever eaten. After talking to Charlie for a lil' we headed home. Good times in duh city of brotherly looove.




stay sweaty!

2 comments:

  1. bummed i missed this. i love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lmao@ Ed VIP friends. And Toby rules, I am always like so rapt when I watch him play. Arkansas? ruled too.

    ReplyDelete