Saturday, May 1, 2010

.one.

The Mason Jar - 5.1.10

w/ F Tradition, Car Crusher, Spraynard, and Holy Dirt.

Ahhh, the first show of the blog. Tom from Holy Dirt set up the show and asked Spraynard to play about two weeks ago. To preface this post, I would just like to say that Tom is one of my new favorite people in the world. Sometimes you just can't top a truly nice willed person.

Spraynard arrived at the show around 5:30pm in fear that we'd be late, and in typical house show fashion, Tom informed us on our grand entrance that the show wouldn't start for about 2 hours. We knew we were in good hands when Tom informed us that his girlfriend was grilling vegan goodies on the grill. YES. After some discussions about the strange "one or the other sided" people of Delaware (in relation to politics), Mimi, Joe and Miles made an appearance on to the scene. You know it's a good time comin' when you hear the Gallaghers and company strolling down the street.



The Chadds Ford kids and Spraynard discussed some deeeeep topics such as time travel and aliens n' stuff. Then we headed to Pat's Pizza down the street since the grill was lit for about an hour without any sort of food upon it. I got waffle fries. Pretty good I suppose? Check out Joe's Pizza Blog to see some pics of the pizza (hopefully). When we got back to the house, there were some fresh vegan sausages on the grill that I immediately stuffed my face with. NICE.

The first band to play was called F Tradition. While I didn't especially prefer the music, the singer was absolutely hilarious. In between each song he would insult the crowd and just scream their band name over and over (to quote, "F F**KING TRADITION!!!!"). All the guys in the band were super nice, and after their set the singer was surprisingly timid. If I had to compare them to another band, it would be a way slower Anal Cunt with (I'm guessing?) less harsh lyrical content.



The second band was called Car Crusher and they totally ruled. They played about 4 or 5 songs and their set was about 10-13 minutes. Anyone that is close to me knows that that is ALL I look for in a band. You could sound like an free-form jazz Rancid cover band and I would still love it if it was under 10 minutes. All of the kids in this band were sweethearts and the drummer had some funny comments about Newark. But yeah, the vocals were super hectic and the bassist's (John, another accomplice in helping set up the show) tone was as drudgy as it gets (which I love). I'm waiting on the guitarist to send me the mp3s on their songs AS WE SPEAK!



The third band was Spraynard. I've had a lot of inner contemplation lately about how I will address "recapping" Spraynard's sets for this blog (considering at least half of the shows on here will be with Spraynard just by association). I guess I will just put the set lists from each set since I feel uncomfortable critiquing our sets for the world wide web. Sooo.. here it is!

Stickin' Together is What Good Waffles Do
I'm Going to Look One More Time for That Baby Deer
Jay's Cafe
Baggles
Take Your Shoes Off, Thank My Mom
Damn, Julie. Damn.


The final band was the legendary Holy Dirt. We saw this band for the first time a few weeks ago at our show with Sundials in Newark. The aforementioned Tom and John are the only 2 members in this band. I love when 2 pieces pull it off. Holy Dirt sounds like a super loud and angrier Fugazi. Tom is a super good drummer and entrances me every time I see them. Such good people. Newark is only about 40 minutes from West Chester, so if you're free sometime, GO SEE THEM!





Awesome show overall. I am super psyched that Delaware actually has a scene going on. I always grew up being super confused on why nothing goes down there, and I guess I literally just didn't look hard enough. Either way though, STOKED.

stay sweaty!

1 comment:

  1. thats a really great pictures of us 5. like really really great. everyone looks fantastic. my hate for delaware receded slightly after this show. it was a really good night. baggles

    ReplyDelete